data recovery after hdd failure

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: data recovery after hdd failure
From: thomas <tom@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:35:47 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hello,

a few days ago my 80GB HDD crashed and with it a 75GB XFS partition with
important data. the drive was humming in my server for about a year with
no problems but suddenly started to act funky. when i took a look in the
logs i saw errors all over the place so i pulled the plug.
the drive was _very_ hot. the drive still works, however i cant boot
properly from it anymore nor can i mount any partition. i am pretty sure the
drive was
only damaged during the few minutes it was acting funky and that most of
the data is still there. the partition table is damaged i believe, what
was "hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 >" is now reported as "hdc: [PTBL] [9964/255/63] hdc1
hdc2".

so now i got myself a new 80GB and tried to restore at least the XFS
partition (the other being ReiserFS, with less important data).
xfs_repairs reports a bad superblock on hdc2, tries to find an alternate
one and then stops after a while because of an I/O Error. So i tried to
use dd with conv=noerror, and it seems to work (i stopped after ~500MB).
with xfs_ncheck i get errors and some filelist on that recovered data,
so i guess there is still hope left. i don't know how to use dd properly
though. can i just dd conv=noerror </dev/hdc2 >/dev/hda5 and then
xfs_repair /dev/hda5 or is it recommended to dd to a file?

thanks for reading, any input is greatly appreciated.

thomas