Re: Shrink a Filesystem XFS

To: <jm_garcia@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Shrink a Filesystem XFS
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:38:44 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 01:53 18-7-2002 +0200, jm_garcia@xxxxxxx wrote:
When will XFS support shrink a filesystems?

Untill someone creates this functionality. And so far no one has stood up to take up the effort. The SGI folks won't do it. It takes a lot of time and honestly I think it is better spent getting XFS in the mainline kernel.

The only option to make a partition smaller is by dumping the drive with tar,cpio,xfsdump or whatever is available, mkfs.xfs a new partition and restore. Sorry that is the only option currently.

XFS able to scale to larger disks but not the other way around. And making a filesystem smaller during runtime is even more difficult. Apart from the problem that a lot of the systems I admin don't let me rewrite the partition tables during runtime anymore. Or at least they don't like it.

Cheers
--
Seth