Re: plans for new release,update redate 2.4.18-5

To: Knut J Bjuland <knutjbj@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: plans for new release,update redate 2.4.18-5
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 08:13:41 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Knut J Bjuland wrote:

> What are there plans for a new XFS release,

There will be a new release.  :)

We talked about this yesterday; there are so many new features & fixes
in CVS vs. the last relese, it's probably time for a new one.  We'd like
to wait until 2.4.19 is out.

>  and are there any plans for
> an update (Red Hat) Linux 2.4.18-5 with xfs patch in?

I have not done it yet; it's probably a fairly trivial task (given that
the XFS patch for RH's 2.4.18-4 is out there) and I would gladly take
a contributed update.  I have less time these days to play catch-up with
Red Hat.

> Is SGI lobbying Redhat to
> include XFS in its next release as option like JFS?

It would be better if users asked them to include it.  At this point it seems
that they have no intention of including XFS.  Every other major distro
has already done so, though, so if you need XFS in your distribution, you
have several very good options.

>  Have you started to
> feed linux with xfs patch in small bits?

Steve is in good contact with the kernel folks; in some sense this has
already started (witness the EA/ACL code).  The bulk of XFS is not available
in "little bits" though, and will just have to go in in a chunk.

-Eric