Re: Can you tell me how many downloads there have been of XFS?

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can you tell me how many downloads there have been of XFS?
From: Stefan Smietanowski <stesmi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:02:59 +0200
Cc: Laura Shepard <shepardl@xxxxxxx>, "'linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Eric Eppe <eeppe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
There is significant business planning interest in knowing our XFS Linux
installed base.
I have a method of inferring this from the number of downloads.
That does not mean a thing.
- There are a number of people on this list that download the iso once and setup a complete server farm afterwards.
- I redistribute the iso/cd to friends who are also interested in XFS.
- At work we downloaded the ISO once but we have 3 systems running from that installer. - People download the newer iso to upgrade their distribution to the latest version.

And naturally there are people that download it but never install it. Or download it, forget to take the CD with them to where they need it and download it again.

I know I've fit in the later category myself :)

// Stefan