Re: Slight problem with XFS/Linux and Indy Drive

To: zach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Slight problem with XFS/Linux and Indy Drive
From: Ivan Rayner <ivanr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:47:26 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:16:58 +1000, Nathan Scott wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 05:25:55PM -0500, Zach Lowry wrote:
> > I've gotten my hands here recently on an R5k Indy, with IRIX 6.5
> > and a 2 gb HD. Unfortunately, the seller didn't leave me with a root
>
> Boot IRIX into the miniroot - when booting up you will be
> prompted to "Stop for maintenance" (or something along those
> lines)... and from there you'll be able to get a root shell.
> The root filesystem is mounted at /root when in the miniroot,
> iirc, so you'll need to edit /root/etc/passwd.
>
> You should be able to find full details on this in the IRIX
> admin guides on http://techpubs.sgi.com/.

To get into the miniroot, you'll need your IRIX 6.5 base CDs or 6.5.x
overlay CDs.

1. Insert the 6.5 Foundation 1, Foundation 2 or first Ovelays CD into
   your CDROM drive
2. Boot the Indy
3. Click on "Stop for Maintenance"
4. Click on "Install software"
5. Click on "Local CD" and then OK
6. Now it should load the installation tools and eventually put you at a
   "inst> " prompt
7. Drop to a shell by using the "sh" command (you might have to go into the
   admin menu first ... can't remember)
8. And as Nathan says, you can now edit your passwd file under /root/etc/passwd
9. Exit the shell and quit inst, and the Indy should reboot

If you don't have the IRIX media, then I suggest you get it.  However,
if you can't afford it then it's possible that your Indy has an open
guest account and depending on the IRIX version you might be able to
exploit some old security hole to gain root access.

Ivan

--
Ivan Rayner
ivanr@xxxxxxx