Re: Kernel oops with XFS and NFS

To: Dave Alden <alden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Kernel oops with XFS and NFS
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 22:59:47 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 14:49 21-6-2002 -0400, Dave Alden wrote:
Hi,
  Sorry to follup to my own message, but I'm getting extremely desperate.
I'm now at the point that I can't bring the system up for more than a few
minutes before it does the oops.  I'm afraid I'm going to be forced to go
back to EXT3, and once I go back I probably won't get the opportunity to
try XFS again (please don't take this as a threat, it's just a plea for
help -- I really, really, really want to stay with XFS, but with 500 users
breaking down my door I don't know if it will be an option).  Does anyone
have any suggestions?

If the system oopses really fast after rebooting you may have some file system corruption. very slight corruption. You probably won't even have lost something but one of the structures might have gotten off for some reason which is causing this.

When you do have the opportunity pleased update to a newer kernel. The 1.1 release from the 7.3 kernel has come a _really_ long way since 2.4.5 (IRC) If you can upgrade please do so. I had good luck with NFS and a XFS kernel (as in decent speed) starting with 2.4.6-pre5 which had numerous important fixes in the NFS path. There have been a lot more since that one as well. You are just unlucky at the moment that you have not hit that one yet.

Try a clean reboot and then a xfs_repair. This has solved some issues in the past. Sorry for the slow response, I have a headache which makes pondering hurt.

Cheers

--
Seth