Re: fseek returning incorrect values

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: fseek returning incorrect values
From: "Sean Kormilo" <skormilo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Jun 2002 14:44:50 -0400
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steve,

I don't hate you. How could I hate the principal engineer for Linux XFS?
;)

It isn't feasible for me to change kernels at this point. The downside
to being on PowerPC hardware is that I have some 3rd party (read
non-open source) dependencies that prevent me upgrading from 2.4.5 until
sometime in the fall.

I've asked the application owner to make a change to not seek past the
end of the file, but to write dummy data instead to achieve the same
effect. My only concern is that there may be other applications which
attempt to do the same thing and are inadvertently causing file
corruption.

If you should happen to think of (or happen to run across) the lseek
path change, and think it could be patched back into the 1.0.1 XFS
release, please let me know.

Thanks!

Sean.

--

Sean C. Kormilo, SAM21/STORM Software Architect, Nortel Networks
              email: skormilo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx