Re: DMAPI bug in dm_file_getattr() / dm_set_region

To: Dean Roehrich <roehrich@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DMAPI bug in dm_file_getattr() / dm_set_region
From: "James A Goodwin" <jagoodwi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 14:56:28 -0500
Cc: "Francis Qu" <francis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dean,

Your scenario is correct, and yes, there is a lot more going on than just
those calls.  I'll see if I can get you a more detailed calling sequence.

In the mean time, I'm running with your patch on an otherwise unmodified
XFS 1.1 system.  Perhaps I am missing some more recent modifications?  I
could grab something more recent from CVS if you think that would help.

Thanks,

-James Goodwin
Software Engineer
IBM Global Services - Federal
jagoodwi@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: (281) 336 2578
Fax: (281) 335 4231
T/L 260-2578

                      Dean Roehrich

                      <roehrich@xxxxxxx        To:       James A
Goodwin/Houston/IBM@IBMUS
                      >                        cc:       "Francis Qu"
<francis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                               Subject:  Re: DMAPI bug in
dm_file_getattr() / dm_set_region
                      06/06/2002 01:46

                      PM

>From:  "James A Goodwin" <jagoodwi@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Dean,
>
>Thanks for the patch.  It gets us past the problem with dm_get_fileattr().
>
>However, later in the same function (called when the write event was
>received), my process hangs on dm_set_region() for the same file.  Is this
>perhaps a similar problem with a similar fix?

So a user process opens a file for append, and then does a write.  This
generates a write event.

The HSM calls dm_get_events to get the write event.  Then it calls
dm_get_fileattr on that handle, then dm_set_region on that handle, then
finally responds to the write event with dm_respond_event--is that the
scenario?  That scenario doesn't hang for me, so is there anything else
going
on in there?

Dean