Re: [Samba] Re: Problems compiling Samba 2.2.4 with quota under Debian s

To: Jeremy Allison <jra@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Samba] Re: Problems compiling Samba 2.2.4 with quota under Debian stable
From: Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 16:18:47 +0200
Cc: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>, "Ralf G. R. Bergs" <rabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 08:51:06AM +1000, Nathan Scott wrote:
> >
> > Known problem, with no fix yet AFAIK.  It is not really related to
> > XFS at all, you're tripping it in XFS because we include some quite
> > recent quota patches in the XFS CVS trees (ie. the patches that've
> > just recently gone into 2.5.17) -  you will find that you can no
> > longer build Samba with quota enabled if you have Linus' current
> > 2.5 headers below /usr/include/linux also.
> >
> > This is a problem which needs to be fixed in Samba sources, they'll
> > need to have a local quota header file, rather than using the ones
> > below /usr/include/linux
> Why should we have to have a local quota header file ? Why can't
> it work on Linux like every other UNIX system - we don't need a
> local quota.h for them ?
> This is not a Samba problem IMHO., but a Linux one.
  I don't think it's important whose problem it is but how to solve it
:). Including kernel headers isn't wise technique but I understand that
glibc contains only old header file and so Samba had to get the
definitions elsewhere...
  When I was implementing user space tools handling quota I was thinking
where to get the headers and finally I decided that having own local
include is the easiest way (this way quota tools are able to handle all
existing kernels independently of the kernel used during the time of
  I think that this way would be also the most reliable for Samba at
least until the headers in glibc are changed to newer ones...

Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>
SuSE CR Labs