Re: RH 7.3 and XFS

To: Mike Burger <mburger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RH 7.3 and XFS
From: Stefan Smietanowski <stesmi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:28:46 +0200
Cc: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

They did it for one reason: exposure. Wide testing. They sent out a patched RedHat installer iso that enabled people to install it and test it. Noone is screaming that SGI HAS to supply an installer for RH7.3. They just want itm and if they don't ask, they won't know. The issue is that it's already been discussed and people should read that it HAS been discussed and since you cut away what I wrote below that I'll have to rewrite it:

Unfortunately, this is incorrect. SGI announces the release of the updated installer once it's completed. They also make it available for download, via their web site. When the installer is ready, anyone who is interested in using it has at least 2 methods of finding out about it...the linux-xfs list and the web site. And let us not forget about the list archives, which are searchable.

Which contradict what I said in what way?

quote me:
>> The issue is that it's already been discussed and people should read
>> that it HAS been discussed .."
end quote me

Stefan is correct though, its not SGI's responsibility to rewrite
everyones installer, thats the vendor's responsibility, or its your
own responsibility.  nobody should be expecting SGI to do it like they
are obligated, they aren't.  remember this is a port of XFS to the
Linux kernel, NOT a port of XFS to redhat.

Yes and no, XFS is a kernel issue, true (and some userspace fluff). But also, SGI have supplied installer isos for three consecutive RedHat distros. Don't be surprised people are SO happy with it that they request a new one ported to the latest RedHat.

But those same people, who know that the installer has been put together for the last 3 releases, can take it on pretty good faith that an installer for this version will be forthcoming.

I'm sorry, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me here. You have me confused.

Pestering the developers about it won't make it come any faster.

The only positive it can have is show that there IS an interest in it appearing. But then comes the difference in defining pestering and asking.

Notice the difference between request and demand please.

Request is a single request. Demand is a clamoring for the item. See the difference between what you think is a request and what appears to be the reality of a demand situation.

Again, is 3 people submitting a request 3 people submitting a request or a demand?

I have seen a few requests for an installer. I cannot say I've seen a demand for it.

What it comes down to is that the people requesting the item are well aware that the OSS folks do put together an installer ISO, and that one will come out when one is available. The fact that they are aware that the ISO is coming should indicate to them that patience is in order, here, on their part.

IF they choose to make one. They have indicated there is work in that direction.

// Stefan