Re: RH 7.3 and XFS

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RH 7.3 and XFS
From: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 03:40:57 -0800
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 07:37:27AM +0200, Stefan Smietanowski wrote:
> Hi
>
> >>I'm waiting for you guys to release RH7.3 install iso .. :)
> >>Any release date known yet?
> >>(how long do i have to wait with formatting my laptop drive? ;)
> >

> > This is a job of the RedHat distributor.
>
> Why do I get the feeling that you haven't really been using xfs / on the
> xfs list for very long?
>
> What he's referring to and what there is at least one more thread about
> is that SGI has historically made patched RedHat installers, like for
> example release 1.0.2 for RedHat 7.2. That's an example.

and they probably wish they never had, since its only resulted in
people whining every 15 seconds on this list that they haven't
rewritten redhats installer for today's release X.whatever.

Stefan is correct though, its not SGI's responsibility to rewrite
everyones installer, thats the vendor's responsibility, or its your
own responsibility.  nobody should be expecting SGI to do it like they
are obligated, they aren't.  remember this is a port of XFS to the
Linux kernel, NOT a port of XFS to redhat.

its funny that hardly anyone annoys SGI about making installers for
debian or slackware or $DIST.

please either patch it yourself, bug redhat about it, or switch to a
distro that has a XFS capable installer available and/or a dist which
is actually upgradable without the filesystem mattering.

I would much prefer the SGI folks spend thier time further improving
XFS and hopefully getting it merged into the mainline linux source
then spending all thier time answering this stupid question every
15 seconds, or patching redhat's installer every other month.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/