Re: Still some corruption occurs on my root filesystem

To: linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Still some corruption occurs on my root filesystem
From: Michael Wahlbrink <x_miw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 18:27:45 +0200
Cc: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steve Lord wrote:
On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 09:02, Michael Wahlbrink wrote:

Eric Sandeen wrote:

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Michael Wahlbrink wrote:

The only thing here is "normal" log recovery, nothing that should indicate
corruption.  I assume that this is after what claims to be a  clean shutdown?

So I can sleep now without thinking 'bout lost data.... ;-)
Thanks!

Well... if you shut down your system cleanly, you should not be doing
recovery, so something is still not right (assuming that the messages
you posted were after a normal shutdown).

It was a normal shutdown, :-(
...and it also did't disappear if I had rebooted the mashine a few times. It disappeared if I started a repair from my "repairsystem". Let's see how it's going on ....

One possibility here is the ide cache is not getting flushed
during shutdown - although that would only be an issue on
power down I think. If you just reboot without powering down
it should survive.

The write cache is disabled on the 2 ide disks (with the ibm tool) so this
should not be the point. And I normally do reboots without powering down ;-)
The only cache that's left is the read ahead cache of the drives....... but I don't want to disable it too ;-) (And I also think that this will not be neccessary).

regards
micha

ps: does any of the xfs_developers have a 2.4.19pre8-xfs patch (still unoficial) and can mail it to me, perhaps the ataraidcode is fixed there a little bit more .....