Re: Problems with xfs_repair

To: Michael Wahlbrink <x_miw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problems with xfs_repair
From: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 21 May 2002 06:56:47 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 04:36, Michael Wahlbrink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After some trouble with the writecache of the IDE HDDs, I booted my
> 'repairsystem' and tried the usual xfs_repair (-L) commands out of the
> bash-history, but this time they fail.
>
> # xfs_repair -L /dev/ataraid/d0p1
> xfs_repair: warning - cannot set blocksize on block device
> /dev/ataraid/d0p1: Invalid argument
> Phase 1 - find and verify superblock ...
> Phase 2 - using internal log
>          - zero log ...
> xfs_repair: xfs_log_recover.c:159: xlog_find_verify_log_record:
> Assertion 'start_blk !=0 || *last_blk != start_blk' failed.
> Aborted.
>
> Hmmm, looks bad for my system :o
>
> Any chance left to get my system / data back or have I to do the mkfs
> again? ;-/
>
> regards
> micha

How recent is your xfs repair, some changes went in last week in
this area. Log recovery on linux was reworked to reduce the need
for large buffers (which is a kernel issue), but repair uses the
same code. Up until last week there were some bugs in there which
meant some log problems could not be handled.

I realize that getting a new repair into your system might be
a problem. Something like the linuxcare bootable toolbox
might be useful in this sort of scenario, I think it has
networking support.

Steve

Steve