Re: "Corruption of in-memory data"

To: Sidik Isani <lksi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "Corruption of in-memory data"
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 09:24:05 +0200
Cc: Sidik Isani <lksi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 10:28 20-5-2002 -1000, Sidik Isani wrote:

  It's a software raid5, and only one of 6 disks failed.  To XFS,
  the device should have been completely functional.

That's the whole idea :-)

> looks something like that. Destruction in these areas also appears
> pretty drastic.

  Oh, there's no worry about the contents of this filesystem.  I was
  actually trying to do the benchmarks on performance that Seth
  mentioned had not been done.  If I get them done, I'll post the
  results here.  I'd just really like to understand what happened.
  If raid5 is to blame here, there isn't much point in using it!
  Any suggestions on the best way to narrow it down?

  Maybe it is worth starting over, with the bad disk still in there,
  to see if it happens again.  The sequence was:

I installed my software raid5 with xfs in degraded mode.
It consisted of a 3 disk array with one disk as a failed (which still contained data).
Formatted the degraded array with XFS.
Copied the data to the degraded raid5 array.
Added the old data disk into the raid 5 array and started reconstruction.

This worked for me.
It might be that the error during resyncing upset the raid/xfs/ide layer for reasons which can not be explained.

Cheers

--
Seth