Re: Invalid argument

To: Simons <xfs@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Invalid argument
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:16:38 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 06:00:01PM +0800, Simons wrote:
> > I just tried this and don't seem to be able to reproduce the
> > problem - it works as advertised for me.  Are you able to build
> > your own kernel?  If so, I'd suggest putting some printk's into
> > xfs_qm_syscalls.c::xfs_qm_scall_quotaon(); esp. where EINVAL is
> > returned and we will get a better picture of where this is going
> > wrong.
> >
> > I'll try it out on a few more machines tomorrow and see if I can
> > uncover the problem.  It smells like an uninitialised or perhaps
> > only partially inited flags variable, or something like that --
> > nothing leaps out at me after reading through the code though.
> >

> seems i have just found out the reason, the problem only occured on the
> machine with scsi hdd.
> i have setup 3 scsi machines:
> machine A - adaptec 29160, ibm 18g scsi
> machine B - adaptec 29160, seagate 9g scsi
> machine C - adaptec 2940UW, seagate 9g scsi
>
> both machines got the "Invalid argument" problem, but i have setup 2 ide hdd
> machines last night, and don't have such problem.

Hmm... it's working for me on SCSI too:

9:01 fsgqa@bruce ~ 20> sudo quotaon -v /

  Electric Fence 2.0.5 Copyright (C) 1987-1998 Bruce Perens.
Enabling group quota on root filesystem (reboot to take effect)
/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target1/lun0/part3: group quotas turned on
Enabling user quota on root filesystem (reboot to take effect)
/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target1/lun0/part3: user quotas turned on
9:02 fsgqa@bruce ~ 21>
9:02 fsgqa@bruce ~ 21> sudo repquota -vug /

  Electric Fence 2.0.5 Copyright (C) 1987-1998 Bruce Perens.
*** Report for user quotas on device /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target1/lun0/part3
Block grace time: 00:00; Inode grace time: 00:00
                        Block limits                File limits
User            used    soft    hard  grace    used  soft  hard  grace

*** Status for user quotas on device /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target1/lun0/part3
Accounting: OFF; Enforcement: OFF
Accounting [ondisk]: ON; Enforcement [ondisk]: ON
Inode: none

*** Report for group quotas on device /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target1/lun0/part3
Block grace time: 00:00; Inode grace time: 00:00
                        Block limits                File limits
Group           used    soft    hard  grace    used  soft  hard  grace

*** Status for group quotas on device /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target1/lun0/part3
Accounting: OFF; Enforcement: OFF
Accounting [ondisk]: ON; Enforcement [ondisk]: ON
Inode: none

9:03 fsgqa@bruce ~ 28> mount | fgrep ' / '
/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target1/lun0/part3 on / type xfs (rw,logbufs=8)
9:03 fsgqa@bruce ~ 29>

Must be some other factor here - have you had any joy with the printk's?

cheers.

--
Nathan