TAKE - XFS multiple blocksize support

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: TAKE - XFS multiple blocksize support
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:06:50 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
This allows Linux XFS to support filesystem blocksizes of less than
a page. So powers of 2 from 512bytes to 4Kbytes on an ia32. It also
switches more of the xfs I/O path to use the generic code used by
other filesystems, the write path is still specific to XFS, but this
too should change over time.

It has had pretty extensive testing, and we have no known problems
on 4K filesystems, I do have one failure in fsx on a 1K block filesystem
which shows after a few hundred thousand interations. We will continue
to work on that one.

There is also a repair problem on small blocksizes. You should upgrade
commands, but apart from some changes in repair there have been no changes
there which are necessary for the small block support.

Success, or otherwise, stories would be appreciated. I would keep this
code off critical servers for a while, but I will be running it on my
machines.

Steve