Re: Strange behavior on the 2.4.18 XFS tree?

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Strange behavior on the 2.4.18 XFS tree?
From: Michael Sinz <msinz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 14:11:10 -0400
Cc: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steve Lord wrote:
On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 07:35, Keith Owens wrote:

On Wed, 15 May 2002 07:30:09 -0400, Michael Sinz <msinz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have only been able to see this behavior on my system running the
kernel from the 2.4 XFS CVS tree.  It is somewhat reproduceable.

The problem is that I started up a number of "rxvt" sessions and they
took well over a minute to start up.  During that time, the cpu
utilization was almost nil.  (Less than 1%)

There was a background find operation happening, and this seems to be
the key item.

When the problem occurs, does typing sync get everything running again?
I have been seeing an intermittent lock problem with XFS where
everything stops until some other disk activity kicks in and the lock
is released.

I wish people would tell us things like this when they happen.

If I can make a better (more reliable) mechanism to repeat this, I
will send it to you.  It has happened a number of times in the last
two days.

For the record, there is no use of the BKL in xfs at all. Michael's
problem sounds more like memory getting chewed up by the dcache and
icache.

Ahh, I have seen this happen in the past - I have not understood why
so much memory was used at times in the system.  The machine is running
headless (no local X display) and thus it should have lots of resources.

Is there something specific you would like me to try?

--
Michael Sinz ---- Worldgate Communications ---- msinz@xxxxxxxxx
A master's secrets are only as good as