Re: Status on RH7.3 installer ?

To: Michael Best <mbest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Status on RH7.3 installer ?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: 14 May 2002 17:25:05 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Christophe Zwecker <doc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hi Mike -

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 17:10, Michael Best wrote:
> Perhaps someone knows how to do the step that I stopped on, which was to
> generate a disk/disc image for booting from the cdrom.  The default
> Redhat installer uses a 2.8M installer image in the dosutils/autoboot
> directory of the cd:

There are scripts in anaconda, scripts/buildinstall to be exact, that do
what you want, I think.  You need to have the tree set up correctly, but
eventually you get the boot image & a tree to burn to an ISO.

There are some configs in there that tell it what should go in stage1,
stage2 etc.  I think if you look at the anaconda SRPM from the 1.0.2
installer, the patch in the SRPM will show you what we did.

> I already did these other steps too:

> *) Added the xfs utility rpms to Redhat/RPMS on disc1 and disc2

Oh, do they actually fit?

> *) examined the anaconda source code for claimed xfs support
>     (it appears to append XFS to the list of available filesystems
>      if that filesystem choice is available, more work here is needed)

At a minimum, you'd need to change "self.supported = 0" to "1" in class
xfsFileSystem in the fsset.py file...

You're going about it a different way, I think, more directly modifying
the RH ISOs with a binary diff; we made a stand-alone ISO, so we had to
let Anaconda know about a 3rd CD (now would be 4th) to get kernels &
utilities for XFS.

There may be other things, but that's a start.

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.