Re: "badblocks" for XFS?

To: "Jonathan F. Dill" <dill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "badblocks" for XFS?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: 13 May 2002 12:43:34 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 08:20, Jonathan F. Dill wrote:
> Is there any way to allocate/mark bad the badblocks with XFS so they
> won't be used by the filesystem?  SCSI drives usually have their own way
> to do this internally in the defects list, but AFAIK EIDE drives do not.

As I understand it, all modern drives do defect management internally,
remapping data blocks as they go bad.  If you're actually seeing a bad
block from the outside, that probably means that the drive has run out
of blocks to remap to, and it's all downhill from there.

At least, that's the reason I've always given for why filesystems
shouldn't track bad blocks - that's the drive's job.  If you want data
integrity, and your drive is showing bad blocks, throw it away and get a
new one.

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.