Re: [Acl-Devel] Naming User Attributes

To: Andre Canis <Andre.Canis@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Acl-Devel] Naming User Attributes
From: Andreas Gruenbacher <ag@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 18:03:29 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: <acl-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 10 May 2002, Andre Canis wrote:

> Is there any standard or consensus on naming user attributer? The
> attr(5) man page has "user.mime_type" as an example, and I guess
> "user.charset" should be OK too, but has anyone thought about other
> attributes?

I think standardizing on attribute names is an attempt in vein. It may
work out reasonably well to make existing names known, but I don't think a
registry of user EA names or similar would make it.

Should we try to build a list of existing names?

> For example, NetPositive, a web browser for BeOS, remembers the source
> of downloaded files in some attribute (I don't remember the name, I've
> since uninstalled BeOS. I thought the filesystem was a great idea, but
> sadly there were few programs using it.)
>
> Wouldn't it be great if browsers and download managers on Linux could do
> the same? You could resume downloads without having to remember the
> address. And mime type and charset could also be set while saving files.
>
> Another possible application of user attributes: MP3 (or Ogg etc...)
> files. You could put artist, title etc. into attributes, maybe by
> converting the tags from the file. Writing a script should be easy, but
> I hesitate, because I keep looking for some naming standard to adhere to.

I have a modified copy of wget which stores the URL of downloaded files in
`user.url'. For a couple of MP3's I use user.album, user.artist,
user.title, user.track, user.year, user.genre, analogous to ordinary MP3
tags.

--Andreas.

 Andreas Gruenbacher, a.gruenbacher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Contact information: http://www.bestbits.at/~ag/