Re: Latest Redhat is due out soon

To: Michael Best <mbest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Latest Redhat is due out soon
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 23:00:31 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 5 May 2002, Michael Best wrote:

> Redhat 7.3 directory quietly hitting various mirrors
>
> There is a Redhat 7.3 directory quietly hitting some of the biggest
> mirrors, so I expect a Redhat announcement very soon, and I heard that some
> developers have been notified already.

Official announcemnts first. 7.2 was released with an updated kernel
already on the site which introduced some double work.

> I am going to try and find the time to quickly patch skipjack and XFS
> together in preparation.

I think that the kernel parts might be the easier part to do if they have
not replaced the VM in this one. Integrating them with
the iso might be challenging. Eric Sandeen can help you with this.

> Rsync can do the binary difference between two files using it's algorithm,
> is there a similar program to the diff/patch combination that will allow
> for the generation of a binary diff file that can be distributed?

The diff would grow quite large. There are a lot of newer pacakges on the
SGI installer discs which are not on the Red Hat Linux discs. Programs
like xfsprogs, xfsdump/xfsrestore and the acl utilities.

And the big parts are the kernels on the discs which are all different
from the Red Hat discs. I think that it's safe to say there is not a lot
to save.

Cheers
Seth