xfs_repair changes are not permanent (was: corrupt xfs filesystem -- xf

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xfs_repair changes are not permanent (was: corrupt xfs filesystem -- xfs_repair dumps core)
From: Willi Langenberger <wlang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 22:10:14 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

Sorry for going on about this -- i'm still trying to get my data
back...

According to Nathan Scott:
> > Unfortunatly the '-L' makes no difference:
>
> Oh, I see -- that check only comes into play later... hmmm, will have
> to try plan C.

Thank you Nathan!

Now i was able to run xfs_repair to the end (the output is attached to
this Mail). But: the changes arn't written back to the filesystem. The
next run of xfs_repair gives exactly the same output.

Any idea what could be wrong, or what i can try next?

Thanks for your patience!

\wlang{}

--
Willi.Langenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                 Fax: +43/1/31336/702
Zentrum fuer Informatikdienste, Wirtschaftsuniversitaet Wien, Austria

-----snip-snip------------------------

# xfs_repair -L /dev/sdb
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
Phase 2 - using internal log
        - zero log...
ALERT: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which is being
destroyed because the -L option was used.
        - scan filesystem freespace and inode maps...
Phase 3 - for each AG...
        - scan and clear agi unlinked lists...
        - process known inodes and perform inode discovery...
        - agno = 0
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 128
bad version number 0x0 on inode 128
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 129
bad version number 0x0 on inode 129
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 130
bad version number 0x0 on inode 130
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 131
bad version number 0x0 on inode 131
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 132
bad version number 0x0 on inode 132
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 133
bad version number 0x0 on inode 133
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 134
bad version number 0x0 on inode 134
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 135
bad version number 0x0 on inode 135
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 136
bad version number 0x0 on inode 136
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 137
bad version number 0x0 on inode 137
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 138
bad version number 0x0 on inode 138
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 139
bad version number 0x0 on inode 139
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 140
bad version number 0x0 on inode 140
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 141
bad version number 0x0 on inode 141
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 142
bad version number 0x0 on inode 142
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 143
bad version number 0x0 on inode 143
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 144
bad version number 0x0 on inode 144
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 145
bad version number 0x0 on inode 145
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 146
bad version number 0x0 on inode 146
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 147
bad version number 0x0 on inode 147
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 148
bad version number 0x0 on inode 148
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 149
bad version number 0x0 on inode 149
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 150
bad version number 0x0 on inode 150
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 151
bad version number 0x0 on inode 151
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 152
bad version number 0x0 on inode 152
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 153
bad version number 0x0 on inode 153
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 154
bad version number 0x0 on inode 154
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 155
bad version number 0x0 on inode 155
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 156
bad version number 0x0 on inode 156
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 157
bad version number 0x0 on inode 157
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 158
bad version number 0x0 on inode 158
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 159
bad version number 0x0 on inode 159
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 160
bad version number 0x0 on inode 160
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 161
bad version number 0x0 on inode 161
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 162
bad version number 0x0 on inode 162
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 163
bad version number 0x0 on inode 163
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 164
bad version number 0x0 on inode 164
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 165
bad version number 0x0 on inode 165
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 166
bad version number 0x0 on inode 166
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 167
bad version number 0x0 on inode 167
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 168
bad version number 0x0 on inode 168
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 169
bad version number 0x0 on inode 169
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 170
bad version number 0x0 on inode 170
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 171
bad version number 0x0 on inode 171
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 172
bad version number 0x0 on inode 172
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 173
bad version number 0x0 on inode 173
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 174
bad version number 0x0 on inode 174
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 175
bad version number 0x0 on inode 175
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 176
bad version number 0x0 on inode 176
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 177
bad version number 0x0 on inode 177
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 178
bad version number 0x0 on inode 178
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 179
bad version number 0x0 on inode 179
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 180
bad version number 0x0 on inode 180
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 181
bad version number 0x0 on inode 181
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 182
bad version number 0x0 on inode 182
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 183
bad version number 0x0 on inode 183
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 184
bad version number 0x0 on inode 184
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 185
bad version number 0x0 on inode 185
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 186
bad version number 0x0 on inode 186
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 187
bad version number 0x0 on inode 187
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 188
bad version number 0x0 on inode 188
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 189
bad version number 0x0 on inode 189
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 190
bad version number 0x0 on inode 190
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 191
bad version number 0x0 on inode 191
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 128, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 128, resetting version number
imap claims a free inode 128 is in use, correcting imap and clearing inode
cleared root inode 128
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 129, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 129, resetting version number
imap claims a free inode 129 is in use, correcting imap and clearing inode
cleared realtime bitmap inode 129
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 130, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 130, resetting version number
imap claims a free inode 130 is in use, correcting imap and clearing inode
cleared realtime summary inode 130
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 131, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 131, resetting version number
imap claims a free inode 131 is in use, correcting imap and clearing inode
cleared inode 131
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 132, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 132, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 133, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 133, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 134, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 134, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 135, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 135, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 136, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 136, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 137, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 137, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 138, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 138, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 139, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 139, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 140, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 140, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 141, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 141, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 142, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 142, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 143, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 143, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 144, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 144, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 145, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 145, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 146, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 146, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 147, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 147, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 148, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 148, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 149, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 149, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 150, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 150, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 151, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 151, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 152, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 152, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 153, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 153, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 154, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 154, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 155, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 155, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 156, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 156, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 157, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 157, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 158, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 158, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 159, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 159, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 160, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 160, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 161, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 161, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 162, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 162, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 163, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 163, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 164, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 164, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 165, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 165, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 166, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 166, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 167, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 167, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 168, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 168, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 169, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 169, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 170, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 170, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 171, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 171, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 172, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 172, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 173, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 173, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 174, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 174, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 175, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 175, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 176, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 176, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 177, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 177, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 178, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 178, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 179, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 179, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 180, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 180, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 181, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 181, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 182, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 182, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 183, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 183, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 184, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 184, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 185, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 185, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 186, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 186, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 187, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 187, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 188, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 188, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 189, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 189, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 190, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 190, resetting version number
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 191, resetting magic number
bad version number 0x0 on inode 191, resetting version number
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 2
[...]
        - agno = 1999
        - process newly discovered inodes...
Phase 4 - check for duplicate blocks...
        - setting up duplicate extent list...
root inode lost
        - clear lost+found (if it exists) ...
        - check for inodes claiming duplicate blocks...
        - agno = 0
inode block 8 multiply claimed, state was 4
inode block 9 multiply claimed, state was 4
inode block 10 multiply claimed, state was 4
inode block 11 multiply claimed, state was 4
entry ".." at block 0 offset 568 in directory inode 8320 references free inode
131
        clearing inode number in entry at offset 568...
no .. entry for directory 8320
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 2
[...]
        - agno = 1997
        - agno = 1998
        - agno = 1999
Phase 5 - rebuild AG headers and trees...
        - reset superblock...
Phase 6 - check inode connectivity...
reinitializing root directory
reinitializing realtime bitmap inode
reinitializing realtime summary inode
        - resetting contents of realtime bitmap and summary inodes
        - ensuring existence of lost+found directory
        - traversing filesystem starting at / ...
        - traversal finished ...
        - traversing all unattached subtrees ...
rebuilding directory inode 8320
        - traversals finished ...
        - moving disconnected inodes to lost+found ...
disconnected dir inode 8320, moving to lost+found
disconnected inode 8321, moving to lost+found
disconnected inode 8322, moving to lost+found
disconnected inode 35179, moving to lost+found
Phase 7 - verify and correct link counts...
resetting inode 128 nlinks from 2 to 3
resetting inode 8320 nlinks from 29 to 28
done