Re: Suggested memory size

To: Mike Keefe <mkeefe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Suggested memory size
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 02 May 2002 11:36:49 -0500
Cc: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 11:33, Mike Keefe wrote:

> What if you were using direct i/o (O_DIRECT) to stream data from a 16M
> system ?  Would that still be as much of an issue - would the same
> performance
> considerations still hold ?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Keefe

O_DIRECT would be better, memory size should not be the issue then,
more can device A and the CPU keep up with device B.

I would recommend trying it out on a regular box with this amount of
memory (use the boot options to trim it down) and a similar bandwidth
for data input and output before you invest a lot of effort into the
embedded setup.

Steve