Re: Free space question

To: <bren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Free space question
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 19:02:08 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 1 May 2002 bren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We were spammed in the number of tens of thousands of e-mails recently. I have
> an approx. 1G XFS qmail queue (/var/qmail/queue) which was filled with e-mail.
> My mount options are:
>
> /dev/sda5 /var/qmail/queue      xfs rw,noatime,nodiratime          0      0
>
> df reports over 200MB free space, yet I cannot create a file as it reports
> "touch: file: No space left on device." Here is what df reports (I had to
> remount the queue under /mnt):

Did you ran out of inodes perhaps? I think a mail spool would be
susceptible to this.

I don't know if the inode usage is representative. I believe the default
is 25% of the fs.

Can you try a newer kernel? I know steve had a fix to make it give back
space faster under memory pressure. Normally it locates a larger chunk to
reduce fragmentation but you need that space back fast in such a case.

Cheers
Seth