Re: config question (external raid, external log?)

To: Robert Sander <gurubert-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: config question (external raid, external log?)
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 16:54:44 -0400
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 07:14:26PM +0000, Robert Sander wrote:
> On Mon, 27 May 2002 16:36:24 +0000 (UTC),
>  utz lehmann <xfs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > A warning. All SCSI to IDE RAID Systems i know have non battery backuped
> > cache. In the case of a power outage all unwritten data (and filesystem
> > metadata) in the RAID cache is lost. This cause filesystem corruption.
> > Running a journaled fs with a volatile cache is not recomended.

I missed this article somehow.

Is this caused by the cache on the IDE drives, or the interface conversion
itself?

If it's the drives, I believe that Seagate and IBM Ultrastar drives actually
do honor commands to disable write-cache and other things that the generic
IDE drives tend to ignore.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx