Re: problems with xfs as root fs

To: Michael Wahlbrink <x_miw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: problems with xfs as root fs
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: 20 May 2002 16:12:46 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Ok, two things here then.  Apparently your filesystem thinks it was not
shut down cleanly; it's doing recovery.  Then recovery fails, and it
can't mount the root FS so you get the panic.  To quote Steve, "Bad
clientid means there was something in the log which was not
recognized."  I don't know for sure what might have caused this, it
seems like write caching could be the culprit.

What version is the kernel?  I wonder where the XFS bits came from.

I would make sure write caching is off on the IDE drives and see if that
solves the problem (will change your performance quite a bit too, I'm
afraid.)

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.