Re: xfsdump sample scripts

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfsdump sample scripts
From: Wessel Dankers <wsl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 22:11:05 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
oi!

While we're discussing backup schemas, is there a way to make decremental
backups with xfsdump?
I'm referring to a system where the latest backup is always a full dump and
older files are kept in archives that describe the differences relative to
their successor.

In a really fancy setup, (daily/weekly) differential archives could be
merged to form (weekly/monthly) archives, at will. I suppose this is not
really suitable for a tape based backup scenario but I'm using it for my
PostgreSQL backups[0] and so far it has been very useful.

Just daydreaming,

--
Wessel Dankers <wsl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

[0] PostgreSQL uses plain text dumps, a record per line, so I could simply
use a diff-based approach.