Re: XFS v1.1 and Linux

To: darren.miller@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS v1.1 and Linux
From: Ragnar Kjørstad <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 17:02:37 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 09:54:20AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> /*
>  * MAXNAMELEN is the length (including the terminating null) of
>  * the longest permissible file (component) name.
>  */
> #define MAXNAMELEN      256
>
> Ext2 has
> #define EXT2_NAME_LEN 255
>
> and reiserfs:
> #define REISERFS_MAX_NAME_LEN(block_size) 255
>
> so I'm afraid that's your answer.

I believe reiserfs is able to handle names up to 4095 charecters
internally, but a lower limit is imposed because of VFS limitations. I
think there was a discussion on the reiserfs list on how this should be
handled; so if you need this feature you should post on reiserfs-dev and
linux-fs lists.

--
Ragnar Kjorstad
Big Storage