Re: Chattr

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Chattr
From: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:27:06 +0200
Cc: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:53:02AM -0500, Steve Lord wrote:
> I said you cannot do it, I was referring to the existing code, yes it
> is possible, but currently only ext2 and ext3 support this, and chattr
> is an ext2 utility, not a generic linux filesystem utility.
>
> Adding it also introduces an on disk incompatibility between Irix and
> Linux, and probably we could not take the code back to Irix, given its
> origin. So we would need to version the superblock - we would need that
> anyway for backward compatibility. All in all it gets to be a larger
> project than you might think. My problem now is definitely not lack of
> work ;-)

If one would put it into a new extended attribute then I guess it could
be compatible to irix.

Disadvantage: checking it is more costly than just a bit in the main inode,
but I guess when ACLs is enabled it has to search the EAs for each inode
open anyways, so it probably won't make too much difference.

-Andi