Re: Chattr

To: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Chattr
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Apr 2002 09:53:02 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 09:26, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 08:51:14AM -0500, Steve Lord wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 15:16, Austin Gonyou wrote:
> > > I know you guys are gonna shoot the hell outta me for this, but what can
> > > one do to set files immutable, as in chattr -i, with XFS? TIA
> > > --
> >
> > Sorry, no can do, XFS does not have an immutable inode concept. All
> > you can do is close the permissions down on the inode.
>
> which doesn't work since 1) root is immune to permissions and 2) there
> is no append-only permission bit.
>
> as i understand it there are some unused bits left in the XFS inode,
> so adding these is possible (and if current implementations set these
> to zero on create and ignore and leave alone on modify the change
> would be fully backward compatible (other then older implementations
> ignoring them)).

I said you cannot do it, I was referring to the existing code, yes it
is possible, but currently only ext2 and ext3 support this, and chattr
is an ext2 utility, not a generic linux filesystem utility.

Adding it also introduces an on disk incompatibility between Irix and
Linux, and probably we could not take the code back to Irix, given its
origin. So we would need to version the superblock - we would need that
anyway for backward compatibility. All in all it gets to be a larger
project than you might think. My problem now is definitely not lack of
work ;-)

Steve