Re: Chattr

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Chattr
From: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 06:26:08 -0800
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 08:51:14AM -0500, Steve Lord wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 15:16, Austin Gonyou wrote:
> > I know you guys are gonna shoot the hell outta me for this, but what can
> > one do to set files immutable, as in chattr -i, with XFS? TIA
> > --
>
> Sorry, no can do, XFS does not have an immutable inode concept. All
> you can do is close the permissions down on the inode.

which doesn't work since 1) root is immune to permissions and 2) there
is no append-only permission bit.

as i understand it there are some unused bits left in the XFS inode,
so adding these is possible (and if current implementations set these
to zero on create and ignore and leave alone on modify the change
would be fully backward compatible (other then older implementations
ignoring them)).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/