Re: poor io performance with xfs+raid5

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: poor io performance with xfs+raid5
From: Mike Eldridge <diz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:35:20 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 01:56:52PM -0500, Mike Eldridge wrote:
> xfs/kernel gurus,
>
> i am having a problem with a xfs fs on a raid5 array.  i experience
> extremely poor i/o performance.  i notice a LOT of processes enter into
> an uninterruptable sleep state when attempting to read/write to the xfs
> filesystem.

hi all,

i thank you all for the feedback regarding my problem.  after a good 18
hours of downtime (backing up 40GB of data from the xfs partition took
most of that time), all of my i/o problems have disappeared.

for those interested, here's what i did:
  -     used the escalade for RAID0 across the 4 20GB drives
  -     created the fs with an external 32MB log (even though it's currently
        using a seperate partition on the same array for the log)
  -     mounted using logbufs=8

i'm pretty sure that it was the small log that was giving my problems,
as this box is a mail server that does a lot of fs updates.  i intend to
recreate the problem on a test machine i have here with the same setup
to make sure.

thanks all,

-mike

   /~\  the ascii                       all that is gold does not glitter
   \ /  ribbon campaign                 not all those who wander are lost
    X   against html                          -- jrr tolkien
   / \  email!

          radiusd+mysql: http://www.cafes.net/~diz/kiss-radiusd