Re: performance patches

To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: performance patches
From: Paul Schutte <paul@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:49:01 +0200
Cc: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
I know that it grows with the size, but the rate is much too slow.
If you create a 2Gb filesystem, you will have a 1200b log.
If you create a 64Gb filesystem, you still have the same 1200b log.
(That was still the case when a have set up my mailserver a month
ago).

If you have 80 clients logging in on a 8Gb partition as in his case,
you can be sure to have your performance limited by your
1200b log.
1200b is good for a workstation, not for a high performance server.
How was he suppose to know that.

The size of the filesystem does not matter as much as the amount
of I/O that you expect, as Steve pointed out.
Larger filesystems obviously have potential for more I/O.

Maybe I put this a bit harsh, but I am trying to defend XFS's honour.
All the people that I encountered that said XFS's performace sucks,
used the default log size.
After corrrecting their mistake, they were impressed by XFS.
I bet that we have lost a lot of people because of a too small
log size.

Paul