Re: performance patches

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: performance patches
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:02:15 -0400
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 09:30:21AM -0500, Steve Lord wrote:

> If you are putting xfs on a disk and not using it for I/O intensive
> operations, then a smaller log is all you need. There is a cost
> associated with a larger log - longer mount times even when the
> filesystem was cleanly unmounted.
>
> The default size does grow with larger filesystems, but I think they
> need to be pretty big before that kicks in. The sizing is more an Irix
> thing than a linux one - I think it does not kick in until 1 Tbyte.

According to the Irix 6.5.13 announcement:

   Improved exit codes for the xfsrestore and xfsdump commands.

   Changed the mkfs command to allow you to specify the size of an XFS
   allocation group, as an alternative to specifying the total
   number of allocation groups.

   Changed the mkfs command to allow you to specify the size of a
   stripe unit and the size of a stripe width in bytes or in
   filesystem blocks, as an alternative to specifying these values
   in 512-byte block units.

   Changed the default size of an XFS allocation group; larger
   filesystems will result in larger default allocation group sizes.

   The xfsdump and xfsrestore commands will provide the VSN of the
   tape that reached its end-of-volume (or the VSN of a new tape
   that needs to be mounted) and pass this VSN to the
   media_change_alert_program specified with the -c option.

   Changed the default size of an XFS log. The default log size
   grows with the size of the filesystem up to the maximum log
   size, 128 megabytes, on a 1 terabyte filesystem.

Thor