Re: poor io performance with xfs+raid5

To: Mike Eldridge <diz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: poor io performance with xfs+raid5
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Apr 2002 15:19:05 -0500
Cc: Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Justin Coffey <justin@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 14:40, Mike Eldridge wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 09:31:37PM +0200, Simon Matter wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Hardware RAID is not affected at all. All levels of Software RAID beside
> > RAID5 are okay. The only problem is with Software RAID5 and internal
> > log. Under some circumstances, this config can slow down performance
> > _dramatically_.
>
> it should be noted that i am using hardware raid5:

> via a 3ware escalade 7850 ata-raid card.

Well, Duh! I should have seen that first time around, I get into the
habit of reading my email too fast!

We may be able to fix some things, if we can remake the filesystem.
First you need to know the stripe unit of your raid - we can feed
this into XFS to make it do stripe aligned allocations. This has
to be done by hand on linux. Take a look at the mkfs.xfs man page
and the section on sunit and swidth options. Probably bump your log size
up from the default somewhat, not sure how it ended up as 1839
that is scary.

You still have not said which kernel version you are running beyond 2.4,
unless I speed read over that too.

Steve