help

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: help
From: "Mikes work account" <mrock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:52:24 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
April 25, 2002

Last weekend, I installed the 2.4.9-12SGI_XFS_1.0.2smp rpm on my Linux box
which was running RedHat 7.1 2.4.9-12smp.
I had no difficultywith the install except that the mkfs.xfs file was
missing and I wondered why.  Si I copied it from another box I had running
an XFS filesystem which had loaded and configured without problems.

I was able to then install and XFS filesystem and was able to automount the
filesystem without errors.

The problem I have is that my system performance has degraded since the XFS
install.  From all that I have read, my performance should have improved.

We run about 80 to 100 logins over a thin client to this server and although
it has been busy we have never experienced this level of degredation in
performance.

I did not install any of the patches and am not sure I know which I should
install in the first place.

Can you offer any assistance into why my system should be slower than it
was.  I have plenty of space and ram and am running on an IBM Netfinity 5000
with dual 450 processors.

My supervisor wants me to go back to the ext2 FS and I am reluctant to do so
because I feel I should be getting better performance with XFS if I can just
get it tuned.

Thank you in advance,  You prompt attention will be appreciated.

Michael C. Rock