Re: boot thinks / is still ext2

To: Jonathan Dill <dill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: boot thinks / is still ext2
From: Nathan Straz <nstraz@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:07:27 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 11:54:42PM -0400, Jonathan Dill wrote:
> I figured out a way to "convert" the root fs from ext2 to xfs by booting
> off the CD.  However, when I try to boot off the MBR, the boot process
> fails apparently because it's still trying to treat "/" as an ext2
> filesystem (and hence no init is found).  For now I'm booting off a
> floppy disk, and that works fine.
[...]
> I'm using kernel-2.4.18-SGI_XFS_1.1 on Red Hat 7.2.

Did you forget to remake your initrd?  IIRC, in Red Hat's initrd images,
it explicitly tells the kernel what type of file system root is.  If the
root was ext2 when you made it, you won't be able to reboot to an XFS
root with that initrd.  Remake the initrd (or hack it) and you should be
all set.
--
Nate Straz                                              nstraz@xxxxxxx
sgi, inc                                           http://www.sgi.com/