RE: UPDATE: low-level XFS drive recovery

To: Stephen Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: UPDATE: low-level XFS drive recovery
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Apr 2002 17:31:08 -0500
Cc: Chris Bednar <cjb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 17:07, Stephen Lord wrote:

> In answer to the original question in this thread, there is a good chance
> the files are reasonably sequential on the disk, if they were written one
> at a time, but there is no guarantee of this, and no real simple way of
> finding out.
>
> Sorry I am not being more helpful here.
>
> Steve

So, I did try one more thing:

xfs_db -x /dev/xxx

this enables a write command

Using the commands

inode 132
write core.nextents 1

I was able to get my extent info back again. So presuming you can
find an inode number, and then assuming extents fit within the inode,
this gives back the extent info for an individual file. I then took
the info from the extent and multiplied it by 4096 and set the size
to this:

write core.size 4120576

and set the blocks used

write core.nblocks 1006

a number of other fields need setting, and so far I have been unable
to get repair to like the inode, but there is a chance this could be
made to work. There also still appear to be endian issues in this part
of xfs_db.

Steve