Re: XFS 1.1 and LVM

To: Roberto <r.trovo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS 1.1 and LVM
From: Adrian Head <ahead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 01:14:32 +1000
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 00:07, Roberto wrote:
> I'm running Slack 8+ kernel 2.4.14  + XFS 1.0.1 + LVM 1.0.1-rc4.
>
> Now I want to use XFS 1.1 but I'd like to know what version of LVM is
> required/suggested.
> May be LVM 1.0.1rc4 included with kernel 2.4.18 or I can use the current
> 1.0.3?
> Anyway XFS+LVM is it stable according to your experience?

I would recommend lvm-1.0.3 for the moment.  There have been heaps of fixes
gone into it since lvm-1.0.1rc4.  I believe that the 2.4.19 kernel when it is
released will contain lvm-1.0.3.

The biggest problem with LVM and XFS was with snapshots and co-existing with
other filesystems.  If you are only running XFS and are not using snapshots
then you could be lucky.

>From personal experience I have a very stable kernel running XFS CVS &
lvm-1.1rc1 as it is one of the first XFS & LVM combinations that have passed
all my tests.  But as lvm-1.1rc1 is very beta I would strongly not recommend
this to anyone for production machines.

--
Adrian Head

(Public Key available on request.)