XFS Shutdown: EINVAL

Subject: XFS Shutdown: EINVAL
From: Danny Cox <DCox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Apr 2002 07:19:38 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Mornin'!

        I currently have XFS installed on four machines.  Last night, on the
newest, I had completed the XFS/RH 7.2 install (after much gnashing of
teeth, see below), and was using rsync to retrieve the copy of /home I
had saved before upgrading (rsync -avcP).  I tried several times, but
XFS continued to shutdown on the first write attempt each time.
/var/log/messages reported:

        xfs_inotobp: xfs_imap() returned an error 22 on ide0 (3,65).

This is indeed the location of /home, on /dev/hdb1, and is a WD 400BB
(40 GB Caviar).  I looked briefly at the code, and xfs_imap() only has
one point that could return an error, on an error return from
xfs_dilocate().  22 is EINVAL, which seems to say that xfs_dilocate
doesn't like one or more of it's input args.  So, that's the low-level
insight.  What's it mean at the high level?

        Note: previously, I was having great difficulty with this installation,
because I have one of the motherboards (DFI AK75-EC) which can't handle
the Athlon specific mmx_clear_page() and mmx_copy_page().  It was
oopsing all over the place.  I recompiled the kernel for i686 (see the
RH 7.2 release notes), and it seemed fine.  In 20/20 retrospect, I see
that perhaps I should have blown away /home with mkfs.xfs, and started
rsync over, as all bets are off.  Sorry, it was late, and I wasn't
thinking as clearly as I am now <grin>.

        Thoughts?  Confirmations?  Denials?  Opinions?

        Thanks!

Danny