Re: IDE write cache and journaling file systems

To: "Mark M. Barrios" <sleep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IDE write cache and journaling file systems
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: 19 Apr 2002 15:18:29 -0500
Cc: Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Buzbee <James.Buzbee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, XFS List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 10:35, Mark M. Barrios wrote:

> today I had a real powerfailure and after the box was back up again I lost
> all of the settings in GNOME, everything went back to its default
> settings, I cant say if the config files were corupted or had 0 sizes.
>
> is this because these applications are not compatible with XFS? or
> because of my hardware? or is this a needed feature/bug fix not yet in XFS
> code?

Well, it should not be a compatibility issue...  gnome seems to be
particularly susceptible to this, it seems that our sync behavior may
not be quite right.

On the other hand, with a metadata journaling filesystem, there is no
guarantee against data loss when the system crashes or is switched off.
We do need to be sure that we deal with it as gracefully as possible
though, and I'll see if I can get a reproducible case going.

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.