Possible bug in autofs 3.9.99 WRT to XFS (DID work in 3.1.4!)

To: "jeremy@xxxxxxxx" <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Possible bug in autofs 3.9.99 WRT to XFS (DID work in 3.1.4!)
From: "Ralf G. R. Bergs" <rabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:25:35 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
[CC to the Debian maintainer and the XFS mailing list]

Hi there,

I think I may have found a bug in autofs 3.9.99. I'm using the Debian
"testing" version 4.0.0pre10-0 of the autofs package, running under kernel
2.4.18.

I have my home filesystem mounted to /export/home (local xfs). Furthermore I
have mounted a (local xfs) filesystem into /export/home/foobar/bighd. Using
the automounter I mount /export/home/* to /home:

  # /etc/auto.home
  foobar   MyServer:/export/home/&

This is the auto.home map on the machine where /export/home is physically
located.

Now when I access /home/foobar the directory /export/home/foobar is bound to
/home/foobar:

  /export/home/foobar on /home/foobar type none (rw,bind)

HOWEVER /home/foobar/bighd is EMPTY, while /export/home/foobar/bighd is
POPULATED.

I know there's an issue with the kernel NFS daemon re. this "multiplexing" (is
this the right term?), but curiously this has worked before with autofs 3.1.4
(debian version "3.1.4-9"), and I know I haven't changed my setup (read
"configuration") apart from upgrading the machine from "stable" to "testing"
(and thusly upgrading autofs from 3.1.4 to 3.9.99,) and from upgrading the
kernel from 2.4.17 to 2.4.18.

Any idea what's going on here? Could the problem be XFS related?

Thanks,

Ralf

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\