Re: DMAPI dm_handle_to_path

To: "Francis Qu" <francis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DMAPI dm_handle_to_path
From: Dean Roehrich <roehrich@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:53:22 -0500
Cc: "Linux XFS" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
>From:  "Francis Qu" <francis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Sometimes we want to obtain the path without knowing parent handle. A single f
>ile/dir object handle is sufficient in getting it's full path name. Thus makes
> the arguments parent dir handle unnecessary? I create my own version of handl
>e_to_path by using only object handle.

I agree, you should be able to do this without using the parent dir handle.  I
wrestled with it, but didn't want to throw away the stuff in dm_handl2path.c
because I wasn't sure about all the things it claims to fix.

Now, here's something to try with your version:  you have the handle, so
unmount and again mount the filesystem, and now feed that handle to your
handle_to_path.  What happens?  If you get something other than "/" or a
crash, I really want to see your code.

Dean