Re: corrupt xfs filesystem -- xfs_repair dumps core

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: corrupt xfs filesystem -- xfs_repair dumps core
From: Willi Langenberger <wlang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:05:02 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Nathan!

According to Nathan Scott:
> > Then, we upgraded the xfsprogs to 2.0.3, an now we get a core dump:
> >
> >   # /sbin/xfs_repair /dev/sdb
> >   Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
> >   Phase 2 - using internal log
> >           - zero log...
> >   xfs_repair: xfs_log_recover.c:159: xlog_find_verify_log_record: Assertion
> > `start_blk != 0 || *last_blk != start_blk' failed.
> >   Aborted (core dumped)
>
> [...]
>
> Ah, I see the problem.  You have an unclean log and corruption in
> the log which is causing the code in xfs_repair to get confused when
> searching for the log head/tail.

Thank You *very* much for your answer.

> First try mount, then unmount, and then run xfs_repair.  The initial
> mount/unmount will cause the log to be replayed, if it can be.

The mount operation seems to hang. After 6 hours i decided to reboot
the box...

> Failing that, try "xfs_repair -L /dev/sdb" which skips the check for
> an empty log, zeroes it, then goes ahead with repairing.

Unfortunatly the '-L' makes no difference:

  # /sbin/xfs_repair -L /dev/sdb
  Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
  Phase 2 - using internal log
          - zero log...
  xfs_repair: xfs_log_recover.c:159: xlog_find_verify_log_record: Assertion
`start_blk != 0 || *last_blk != start_blk' failed.
  Aborted (core dumped)

> Failing that (!) we can get libxlog built non-debug so this assertion
> doesn't get tripped, and see how we go from there.

Ok, i will see if i can do this...

Thanks again,

\wlang{}

--
Willi.Langenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                 Fax: +43/1/31336/702
Zentrum fuer Informatikdienste, Wirtschaftsuniversitaet Wien, Austria