Re: System crash by use xfs

To: Derek Glidden <dglidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: System crash by use xfs
From: Peter Wächtler <pwaechtler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:45:33 +0200
Cc: Linux XFS List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Derek Glidden wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 04:33, Seth Mos wrote:
>
> > I didn't knew XFS was included in SuSE 7.3, maybe SuSE has a updated kernel
> > with XFS which gives less problems. Since there are no error messages it
> > makes debugging the thing slightly harder.
> >
> > Does anyone from SuSE know if you ever shipped a kernel with XFS support?
>
> A couple months ago at an expo I was told by a SuSE rep that 7.3 would
> specifically not have XFS because they didn't feel at the time it was
> ready.  I was told it was going to include ReiserFS as usual, and add
> Ext3 and JFS.
>
> It'd probably be nice to hear from an actual SuSE person though.

I am only a SuSE beta-tester. There never was xfs support in
the kernel of 7.3 - just the userspace utilities were shipped.

Since Andi Kleen is posting here - perhaps in 8.0? But there was
no support in the betas I have checked.

And: after some obscure bugs (NFS related) our fileserver box
has an uptime +70 days again - so XFS is doing again fine for me.
Never had trouble with data - online growing filesystem is a
nice to have...