Re: XFS pressure group

To: Nic Doye <nic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS pressure group
From: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:22:06 +0100
Cc: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 02:11:29PM +0000, Nic Doye wrote:
> I don't think it's been done before and possibly not a good precendent

I has been done before (for LVM for example). I think it is a waste of
your time. What's needed is someone to submit XFS to Linus and
other VFS codekeepers and spend the time to fix any reasonable complaints
they have about the code (and explain to them why the unreasonable ones
cannot be changed). That can be a time consuming task.  This will
eventually happen I guess, but it's a purely technical thing, not a
"political" one.  Cleaning up XFS before as far as possible will be helpful,
there are certainly some ugly parts in the code right now.  I guess the
main work in that will not be in merging XFS itself, but the pagebuf
layer.  What also helps is lots of people using and testing XFS so that
that I can be said with reasonable certainity that it is stable.

-Andi