general 2.5 question

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: general 2.5 question
From: Robin Humble <rjh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:03:26 +1100 (EDT)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
So this isn't XFS specific (so feel free to ignore this), but I
figure you guys have been compiling and running 2.5 kernels for ages,
and so you might have a feel for how usable/stable 2.5 is these days?

My data point is that I compiled up a pretty minimal 2.5.7-xfs from
XFS cvs on my home machine and tried it out for about an hour today and
it seemed to work ok(*).

We don't mind occasional crashes if that's the price we have to pay
to use the new NAPI + e1000 stuff on our ia64/SMP machines.  We prob
have to wait for the 2.5.7 ia64 patch first though.

cheers,
robin

(*) VM performance was similar to (no better, maybe a bit worse than)
2.4.18 and some drivers didn't compile. The ALSA audio with OSS
wrappers seemed to worked well. XFS had no problems :-)