Re: --enable-shared=no gives linking errors Was: New tarball error

To: "Hundstad, Jeffrey E." <jeffrey.hundstad@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: --enable-shared=no gives linking errors Was: New tarball error
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:17:13 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Vincent Bernat <bernat@xxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hello,

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 04:17:15PM -0600, Hundstad, Jeffrey E. wrote:

> If I modify include/builddefs.in in acl, attr and xfsprogs to change all
> instances of "lai" to "la" the "make install-dev" works to installs the
> libraries.  You still have to manually link all of the binaries.  For example:
>
> gcc -o chacl chacl.o  ../libacl/.libs/libacl.al /usr/lib/libattr.al
>
> It looks like the makefiles are a bit munged up... but it also looks like a
> simple fix.

Can you send a patch?  Might be easier than explaining it.
Its not clear to me that you have latest version of acl (or
maybe you overlooked the install-lib target?)

> The reason I started down the statically linked road in the first place was
> because the "autoconf;./configure;make;make install;make install-dev" fails
> to produce binaries and libraries, and does produce errors.  So as far as I
> can tell you have to munge the build in any case.

What error do you see?  You seem to be missing "install-lib", eg.
$ autoconf
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install install-dev install-lib

> BTW: I do have a working set of kernel-libraries-binaries now so there isn't
> any emergency for me.... but for newer members of the XFS community this may
> be a real sticking point.

I expect newer members of the community would just type "make"
and expect it to work (which it should and, afaik, does).

cheers.

--
Nathan