xfs_repair problem

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xfs_repair problem
From: Benito Venegas <venevene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:55:14 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi boys and girls:

I have a problem in one my servers in India.
Local sysadmin lost access to /dev/sdb1 partition
after blackout :/

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1             1     13215 106149456   83  Linux

The problem came to us, when local sysadmin in India had an old kernel version. (2.4.2)

He traid to run xfs_reapir but after 10 minutes running, it gave this error

xfs_repair:buf calloc failed cannot allocate memrory

After that, I upgreaded kernel version and tools.
We ran xfs_repair in single mode and now we got this message:

xfs_repair running in single mode. waiting for any message.....
error message:
fatal error -- can't read block 0 for directory 210516126

We don't want to run xfs_repair with -L switch option, to avoid loose important information (we do backups but runs once a day, and this happend before backup process :/ )

Doctors, any idea about if I can save this patient?
:/

Thanks

DELL PE4300 2 CPU
Perc Card (megaraid.o module)
OS: RH 7.1
Current kernel version: 2.4.9-13SGI_XFS_1.0.2smp
Previous kernel version: 2.4.2-SGI_XFS_1.0smp

--
Benito Venegas
System Engineer, Technology

This communication contains information which is confidential. It is for
the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the
intended recipient(s) please note any distribution, copying or use of
this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error please notify us by e-mail
or by telephone (as above) and then delete the e-mail and all attachments
and any copies thereof.