Re: Random filesystem corruption

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Random filesystem corruption
From: Sebastian Ude <ude@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 12:37:29 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, rabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ralf G. R. Bergs) wrote:
> Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:19:18 +0100
> To: "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> From: rabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ralf G. R. Bergs)
> CC: "ude@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <ude@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Random filesystem corruption

[...]

> >if I remember correctly, someone reported
> >similar problems one month or so ago
>
> That person could have been me -- but it turned out that our hardware
> RAID(!) was flawed. The manufacturer replaced and/or repaired it, and now
> everything it's fine.

Yes, but I do not raid (neither in hardware nor in software), and I doubt
that all my disks are damaged anyway, since there is no problem at all with
the other filesystems they are running besides XFS.

> There have been CVS kernel versions as well that were simply broken WRT
> "international" characters. This is what Eric was referring to. But I
> guess that can't be an issue in your case since you mentioned you
> observed the problem with different kernel versions.

Yes.

However, it could be that the damaged files were created with one of the
broken kernels - but then I am wondering why they got corrupted *now*, and
not before. Additionally, as I explained previously, not only files with
Umlauts in the name were affected by the problem in the past.

- Sebastian